Nuffnang!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Open Letter From "Ice Cream Seller"

> Subject: Fwd: FW: Open Letter From "Ice Cream Seller"

> Note: Datuk Seri Ahmad Husni Hanadzlah today criticised Malaysians who
> have emigrated, saying it was “wrong” and insinuating that they were
> betraying the sacrifices of their forefathers.
>
> Husni, who is second finance minister, explained that “our
> forefathers” settled here because they believed that their children
> would have a future in Malaysia .
>
>
>
> Open Letter From "Ice Cream Seller" to Datuk Seri Ahmad Husni
Hanadzlah, Deputy Minister of Finance , Malaysia

>
> Dear Deputy Minister Husni
>
> A story (true) in response to your statement about emigration by ingrates.
>
> Sometime in 1980, when I was a final year student in London , I had a
> very short tele-conversation with my father. In those days, there were
> no call cards, Skype or the like and calls were expensive. He had a
> very simple message - "Don't come home, Son".
>
> Now almost 30 years on, I see where he was coming from.
>
> He advised me to stay on in the UK or if I found the weather not to my
> liking, told me to go to Australia - even if it meant that I may
> eventually marry a "white girl" as he put it. I was 23 and marriage
> was certainly not on my mind.
>
> He was a 'pendatang'. This pendatang however secured a scholarship to
> study in Raffles College (the pre-cursor to the University of Malaya)
> and served some 30-odd years in various senior teaching positions
> culminating with the last few years in the Malay College (Kuala
> Kangsar, MCKK) .
>
> Amongst his students - a list of past and present ministers and
> opposition figures.
>
> I didn't heed his advice till last year and spent the last 28 years in
> Malaysia . However, it became increasingly untenable to work here
> without compromising my values, integrity and conscience.
>
> Why did he advise me such? With hindsight, I saw his foresight.
>
> As an educationist, he saw we were heading to be another Ceylon (from
> where he was sent when orphaned), Burma , Philippines and in today's
> scenario, Zimbabwe .
> He saw what the outcome would be when we mess up education with politics.
> He saw that religion would be a divisive factor in years to come (he
> even encouraged me to learn Jawi as a 9 year old).
> He believed that in a country like this, mixed marriages would help
> cement society.
>
> He saw in some of our leaders of yesterday that even in their youth,
> they had unbridled cunning and only needed an opening to exploit that
> trait.
> He saw in some of his students potential to be PM but said that would
> never be because they were "too smart for UMNO's liking".
> He saw that given our racial demographics, religion would be used as a
> means to ensure the survival of a particular group.
> He believed that eventually, the Malays would have a class war amongst
> themselves.
> He said that even amongst the Malays, many of the English educated
> would opt to live away from Malaysia .
> He told me promotions won't necessarily be given for competence. These
> are usually won in the Clubs (read political party today) and over a
> few drinks. Being a bit of an introvert myself, he encouraged me to
> join clubs, associations and play sports and travel.
> He said honesty doesn't necessarily pay in this world but still better
> to be honest and live with dignity.
>
> Our home was (at different times) home to 3 delinquent Chinese boys -
> sent by the Juvenile court. He volunteered to take them in. Add to
> that a few other Indian boys.
>
> Though not my mother tongue, I spoke to my parents in Malay till I was
> about 10. We took in a Chinese lady injured during the war and she
> lived with us for about 40 years till she died. My father referred to
> her as his mother in law. I thought she was my grandmother even though
> my mother was not Chinese!!
>
> By the late 70s and early 80s, he saw that this scenario would not
> likely repeat in the years to come.
>
> When he died in 1982, we were pleasantly surprised to see some of his
> students (by then in their 50s) come from different states for his
> funeral.
>
> One told me that it was my father that made sure he spoke flawless
> English and another told me how my father would bring the 6th Formers
> home from the hostel and used our home for dinner and to teach them
> social graces - including dancing (taught by my mother). Partners were
> arranged from the convent school with the blessings of the
> headmistress!!!
>
> 29 years on, I view his foresight through the same prism and now
> agonise as to whether I should tell my children the same.
>
> For now, I am allowing my eldest to pursue his tertiary education overseas.
>
> Maybe when he finishes, he may not be as shortsighted as I was. Pray
> God grant him wisdom and vision.
>
> Last year, I resigned from my job, returned the company car and
> driver, said goodbye to my executive package and moved to Australia
> where I now live with no maid, no driver, no Audi 2.8, no golf, no teh
> tarik sessions, no bonus etc but am rediscovering humanity running a
> humble ice cream shop.
>
> Sometimes we learn very late.
>
> An ice-cream seller
>
>
>LETTER 2:
>
> A Malay but no longer Malaysian
>
> by H. Batson
>
> I am a Malay who has given up my Malaysian citizenship to live in
> another country. I have never been discriminated as a citizen of this
> foreign counry when it comes to job opportunities (promotions). I got
> to where I am not because I am a Malay but because I am good at what I
> do.
>
> Prior to issuing me a certificate of good character (one of the
> requirements to become a citizen), I was interviewed by the Asst High
> Commissioner of Malaysia .
>
> He was a nice man. He asked me this question:
>
> Asst High Commissioner:
>
> “Are you sure this is what you want to do?
>
> Because it is such a shame that Malaysia will lose a professional like you.”
>
> My reply:
>
> "I would love to contribute to my beloved country.
>
> However, my husband is an “orang puteh” and although he is a
> professional, it was impossible for him to get permanent residence in
> Malaysia .
>
> You don’t make it easy for us, what more I am a woman. My husband will
> never get citizenship."
>
> Asst High Commissioner:
>
> "Yes I agree, we don’t make it easy that is why we lose so many professionals."
>
> What more can I say.

No comments: